Wednesday, October 03, 2018

TML - Too Many Projects perhaps?


I have a neat little Austrian 15mm army, it doesn't see a lot of action however; as it has no opponents.

The current array

Hungarian Grenadiers 
Foot Artillery 
Chevaux Leger and Kuirassiers

A common complaint, many wargamers build armies then find an absence of an army for them to fight; not an issue in fantasy games generally, so long as you are flexible over rules or stick to a major game system, and not much of an issue if you throw historical accuracy out of the window.

The latter is tolerable for Ancients through to the middle ages, to a point, but I'm not going to field a carefully researched Napoleonic Austrian army against someone's American Civil War Union army, or blooming Zulu's, just as they come from the same century; am I?

One battle with the models is just not enough, so I guess I'll have to make the tough choice.

To paint another army.

Hah, you may have thought I would sell them.  No way, they are far too nice, and moreover, permit the prospect of good sized games at home in TML towers modest gaming space (room for a 6x4 foot at a pinch), and games out and about without a hernia from shifting crates of miniatures.  But they still need an opponent, one I can place in the hands of willing commanders without the need for them to supply their own minions.

I've always preferred to provide both sides anyway, it just makes life easier; opponents can be fleeting and transient, and if they take their armies with them you can be left with a lot of underemployed bods in boxes, preying at the mind suggesting a retirement to eBay as more worthwhile than the prospect of eternal damnation on a dusty shelf.

TLDR:  I bought a new army.

Good old Warrior Miniatures will provide an ideal challenger to my established force.  After much pondering I opted for two starter armies of Bavarians, and some additional packs to fill out units, for the princely sum of £50 with postage!  This is enough to scratch together 6 regiments of foot, 4 of horse, and 4 batteries of artillery with 2 guns each.

Now the reason for the extra 15mm terrain should become clear.  It could take a few months to get these to the table (to say the least) but at least they should eventually provide an appropriate force to face an Austrian invasion.


...



8 comments:

  1. I tend to do two armies for any game I'm interested in for just this reason. Good luck and congratulations on giving in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice. Always fancied painting up the Bavarians to fight my Austrians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep I agree I always plan to have both sides now 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is interesting! Warrior are a company I've never considered before but I am contemplating a Napoleonic set up using DBN and/or NPOW and they may be just the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Austrians are also Warrior, so as long as you don't mind monopose, you can see they are of a pretty good quality. In all honesty, the same cannot be said of Warrior's other scales, which can be very hit or miss, but all their 15mm seem to be pretty great.

      Delete
  5. Look forward to this little project...

    ReplyDelete
  6. good oh - my first napoleonic figures were warrior miniatures (1984 ish)I still have them. I have a load of their Romans (they paint up lovely) but no opposition...

    ReplyDelete