Tuesday, October 23, 2018

That one time I was on the Cover of Wargames Illustrated....

Well, my models were anyway.

T'was the turn of the century, and I was not far off moving away from the ancestral home to parts new.  In my last year as a member of the Grimsby Wargames Society however, we were heavily involved with AK47, and produced a well received display game.  My contribution here being the Green Vickers tanks, Blue Police vehicles and men, concerned citizens and all the buildings.  Martin Buck provided the UN supply line and civilian trucks, whilst the terrain boards were club standards for the most part.  Inside the article had more shots, including the airport and railway the layout had, and the patrol frigate out in the dock that was written into the game!

Can still recall spending the day down in Newark with the display getting shots for the magazine, and going for a pint with Duncan Mcfarlane (Owner/Editor of WI back then) afterwards; who also had the good grace to pay me for the one and only article I wrote for the magazine a year or two before!  Somewhere I have a mouldy old copy of what at the time was the relatively unknown Battle of Maldon that I turned into a viable scenario, for some set of rules or other; hell, it was 20 years ago...

I would say this represented the high-watermark of my Wargaming profile, but I guess blogging has kept me ticking over since, at the end of the day I have neither the research discipline or enthusiasm to write for the magazines; WI is a very different beast now to what it was then anyway.  I don't think I've more than flicked through a copy in three or four years.

I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for that sort of fame anyway! ;-)


...

4 comments: