Thursday, October 21, 2010

Leopards and Dogs

A handful of recent paint jobs make an appearance today. First off General Paget, British cavalry general of the early Peninsular Wars and a hero of Waterloo:



In 1815, [Paget] was appointed cavalry commander in Belgium, under the still resentful eye of Wellington. On the eve of Waterloo, Paget had his command extended by Wellington so as to include the whole of the allied cavalry and horse artillery. He handily covered the retirement of the Anglo-Allies from Quatre Bras to Waterloo on 17 June, and on 18 June led the spectacular cavalry charge of the British centre, which checked and in part routed D'Erlon's corps d'armée (see Waterloo campaign).

One of the last cannon shots fired that day hit Paget in the right leg, necessitating its amputation. According to anecdote, he was close to Wellington when his leg was hit, and exclaimed, "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!" — to which Wellington replied, "By God, sir, so you have!" [Also] according to his aide-de-camp, Thomas Wildman, during the amputation Paget smiled and said, "I have had a pretty long run. I have been a beau these 47 years and it would not be fair to cut the young men out any longer."

From Wikipedia

The model itself is not an attempt to match his best known uniform (that of Waterloo) but does broadly match alternate portraits of him, and will serve to portray generic cavalry commanders. I was particularly pleased with the leopard skin, though I don't think this quick snap really does it justice. Next up for my British is Olde Beaky himself; Wellington.

Elsewhere I reworked and expanded a Dogs of War regiment. I did have a unit of 10 halberdiers, and had bought 10 more models (on the cheap) to expand them. But the unit performed so poorly in the game that I decided to convert the lot to another regiment of pike.

A beautifully garish unit, hopefully worth putting on a table now!

No comments:

Post a Comment