Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Chalkidian Hoplites

The Ongoing saga of my Wargames Factory Numidians transforming into Greeks. There was no need to convert these models as such, it was simply a case of using a lot more of the helmeted heads and providing new, larger spears. I do my Hoplite spears about eight or nine feet long in scale, not like those who seem to think they already carried a pike of 12 or more feet in length.

The Musician was built by simply cutting the bow out of a spare left arm and making a set of Greek flutes - two bits of plastic rod, joined at an angle. Historically they were often shown using a mouth strap to position the instrument, but for the sake of simplicity I've ignored that.

The shield design of a red bird is identified with Chalkis, in the Thracian colonies, and so suited the theme of my Spartan Army of Brasidas. I allows them to stand as allies or foes to my army.

24 figures built and painted in about four days. For an effective cost of about 60p each.


Nice.

2 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! Well done!

    Tony @ Wargames Factory

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! theres alot that can be done w/the numidian/light infantry sets

    ReplyDelete