Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A campaigning Predator tank.

Once I'd finished the Dwarfs, last weekend, I picked the next thing I had readily to hand, that was as different as possible to spend some time on. A Predator tank for my 40k stuff.

This was going to be a shift of pace to something more carefully painted with the intention of producing a centrepiece model for my Space Marine force. The modelling work had been done long ago on this model, with that sentiment in mind. The inspiration will be obvious to my historical gaming readers out there, being influenced by the appearance of particularly American tanks in World War Two, Vietnam and so on.

Anyway, the modelling took maybe 6 hours, whilst the painting racked up a good 15 hours more. On top of my more usual effects I added chipped paint marks for the first time. Something I didn't want to overdo, as many models with the technique I've seen go overboard with far too many of them, but then ignore the inevitable resultant rust from that damage.

My marines make extensive use of Latin motto's and graffiti. Also, this tank has scored three kills...
Part of the reason for all the kit on the turret is to stop it looking ridiculously small. In fact, nice as the new Predator model looks, if you dissect it from an engineering and tank design standpoint it makes no sense at all; there is no room for suspension on the centre track bogie, therefore it must be a fixed axle - very uncomfortable for the crew, and anyway, where do the tracks actually go? There's no room for them what with that hatch in the way...

As an added bonus, the weapon stations are interchangeable, allowing more options from one model; this was done with the ingenious use of magnetic strip, though if doing it again, I'd use 'Rare-Earth' magnets for a more solid hold.


Overall, I'm very happy with the result.

3 comments:

  1. ..I would be to - very nice piece of modelling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was probably designed by the same bloke who designed the T34.

    Nice paint job.

    ReplyDelete