Wednesday, November 20, 2019

On Brushes....

...

I have a lot of brushes:



The loosely packed pouch on the left is the everyday brushes.  The good stuff if you will.  Though not all of them are by any technical definition, great instruments.  Indeed my favoured collection includes a selection of old Humbrol Reds as you can see.  These were super cheap horsehair or similar, but one thing I've learnt over the years is that for longevity, natural brushes win out every time.

Indeed, whilst I have quite a range of synthetic brushes, they seldom last for precision work as long as one wants.  If you are working long sessions with the brush, they will suffer more than a natural equivalent, and cleaning seems to only deteriorate them further.  My workaday brushes of choice at the moment are Royal and Langnickel sables; available in the UK very cheaply from the range in a £3 pack of 5:



It's hard to argue with such value; two fine sized brushes and three larger ones for basecoating and varnishes/glazes.  This way the Artists sables I do own (and the sythetics), which often cost above £5 each can be saved for the precision work they really excel at.

Also hiding in the other two pouches are cheap brushes from IKEA, some super-soft makeup brushes, and any number of other outlets.  Once a brush is past it for frontline duty, it gets retired to the dry-brushing pile, or serves to do terrain, apply glue or clean away dust and dirt.

After all, waste not want not, eh?

Which are your favourites, and why...

...

3 comments:

  1. I have a few expensive fine-tip brushes that rarely see the light of day. Usually I just rely on the inexpensive "good enough" brushes and they do a great job. Even if the cheap brush lasts just 9-12 months, I've still gotten my money's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently favouring Rosemary & Co. for the everyday work. Have W&N for the better quality painting when needed. Want to get some of the new brushes from Warbases to see what they are like but am a little confused by the grading system so want to talk to Martin before purchase. Tried some very cheap brushes from Amazon and found out why they were cheap - almost single use before the brush splayed. Like you I relegate old brushes to the dry brushing pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Paul, I sill favour Rosemary & co for good value brushes but for finer work I will splash out and buy some of the Warlord or Games Workshop ranges. I use the burned out brushes for applying wood glue to my bases. Ive also found that the budget book shop, Bookless sell some useful varnish and undercoat brushes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete