Monday, October 15, 2007

River Leffe 1805

Perhaps the last big game I'll get for a while (though I may fit in one more), certainly the last opportunity for Phil and myself to get a battle in; yesterday we set up a Napoleonic's game. A Dutch-Belgian army attempted to force a crossing of the River Leffe, defended by Prussians and Austrians

The Prussians under Phil above for m a thin defensive line, they, unlike me were aware the river though wide and fast, was relatively shallow, and crossable along its' entire length. As such he couldn't risk denuding any areas. The cavalry line up on the open wing he correctly guessed would also suit my cavalry operations.


The Dutch-Belgians present an aggressive centre, the cavalry tasked with scouting the river for crossings whilst the core of line infantry assault the bridge.


The Belgian centre leads the advance.

Austrians under Prussian command defend Toll-Bridge house.

Initially the Belgians were extremely aggressive; playing Piquet rules, neither side can be sure of getting the initiative, but in the first turn I had all the luck and produced a sweeping attack. Then I had to endure three turns of almost no action whilst the Prussians thumped my lines with artillery. Then it went more or less my way again, and in a beautifully disciplined manoeuvre the Belgian centre opened out to cover the Bridge and the 2nd line moved into column to cross the river.


The Austrians rushed forward to defend the bridge.


Elsewhere, my Dutch cavalry crossed the river; Prussian lancers prepared to charge, but were thoroughly beaten. However the Prussians had reserves where the Dutch had not, the situation soon replayed in reverse. Despite their determination my hussars were also sent back over the river.

At the bridge the battle was about to come to a head. The Austrians readied themselves and were able to get a number of volleys off in to the oncoming Belgians.


The first Battalion was routed, but the second soon came on to the bruised Austrians. The Toll Bridge house also came under assault by eager Belgians who broke in and began an exchange of fire.
The critical battle was at the bridge, but luck favoured the Austrians. Though both sides suffered similar losses the Austrians remained ordered, whilst the Belgians broke. The Militia advancing over the river were not going to make much difference. By this time the ability of the Dutch and Belgians to maintain a cohesive command was lost completely, the attack had run out of steam.

Overall a great game, but YET ANOTHER DEFEAT! In particular my dice seemed to only roll 2's be they D6 or D20's. I felt my plan was acceptable, but I was too eager in the centre, charging to contact when a more prudent commander would have reformed first. For the Austrians it was simply a case of weathering the piecemeal attacks, which never seemed to go my way and so never built up any real momentum.

A word on the Scenery. The river is made from artists foam, and I keep meaning to paint it properly and texture the edges. However It is one of the best looking lazy solutions I've yet found for doing whet is the hardest piece of scenery to do well. For the photo's above though the joins have been potatoshopped out, it is in fact in 4-12 inch sections.

The buildings are from the Javis Conflix range and are about £12-15 a piece - super lazy, painted in some anonymous factory in China; nevertheless they are quite well done and look the business. The Bridge is a Hovels piece, i painted myself. The trees and hedges are more Javis, from their model railways ranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment