Monday, July 06, 2020

13th Light Infantry - 1879 ....

...
Finding I've finished a couple of projects, and wanting a bit more variety around the epic that was the Corvus Cabal.  I dipped into the inventory and found a long overlooked army to do some work on.  in a completely different style to my current standards.

the 13th Light Infantry were part of Wood's northern column in the Zulu War, present at Kambula and other major engagements.  I already had one company painted for them, but decided to add two more.  The painting style here is much more of an old-school look for me, one I've not painted 15mm figures in for several years, but easy to pick up again.  Essentially its painting to the edges of a black undercoat, and retouching as necessary; and because I'm a show off there's some blended highlights on the jackets and other big details.

B & C Companies

Now, flags.  Blame Essex Miniatures for that.  I like Essex Mini's 15mm's; they were some of the best in their day, but research was not always the best, and their horses looked like nothing so much as:

true story...

Anyway, Regimental and National standards as my reading has indicated were not used in the Zulu War, at least not unfurled.  So the Standards here are simply as I need every miniature I have to build the units.  Consider them artistic license.  This brings my British forces up to 84 infantry, not many, but they do only represent two battalions in strength.

Aside from these, I've churned out a few other bits.  Firstly another unit for the Imagi-Nations project; another Mounted Grenadier unit for the Gebrovians:

 

And a selection of critters from the Conan box; we're down to the last dozen or so models now:

 

Also, I've had the time to go through the stash of unbuilt plastic, and assemble a lot of models, like well over a hundred!  One of the most interesting for me was being able to assemble a bunch more French dismounted Dragoons for the Penisular War.

Easy to spot the conversions

These will be painted to match the dismounted skirmishers I already have, but will be regimentally mounted, to represent the many times Dragoons were obliged to fight as regular infantry, such as at Talavera for example.  I'm looking for some Napoleonics quick-wins for the second half of this year, so these may hit the painting table soon.

Anyway, that's enough for today; but more to come soon.

...



1 comment: