Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Princesa Regiment

They only took six weeks, but I was particularly pleased to complete a unit of Napoleonics over the festive period (i.e. some time ago).  I'd picked up some of the Eagle Figures Spanish late last year, a unit in campaign wear.  I have to say they were a delight to paint:


They are rather slight figures, though as tall as Perry or Front Rank they look thin in comparison, but this is not an issue for me in a unit made solely of the models, I have troops from Perry, Victrix, Minifigs, Essex, Hat and Front Rank, and so long as they are largely of one type I am comfortable mixing them.

There is only one infantry pose in this particular set, but with creative painting they allow for a reasonable amount of variety.  I went for the Princesa regiment as there was plenty of reference material for them and they were an active unit present at several engagements with and without the British.  I mixed in brown, blue and patterned trousers to the white uniform and went for lots of patches and a final patina of dust.

These chaps have done a lot of marching.



For the command I was able to find and paint a copy of the Princesa's royal standard, whilst I hypothesized a suitably extravagant drummer's attire.  My officers have stuck to standard uniform though, perhaps they managed to get a local tailor to produce some regulation clothing recently.

Pleasing; on to the next regiment....

3 comments:

  1. These are really beautiful! I have some of these somewhere too for a planned Peninsula project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! A fantastic job...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to finally see some of these Eagle figures in the digital flesh, as it were. I like them. I think that from the look of them they would fit alongside some of the Perry range quite well. I have two battalions of Perry Carlists as Spanish Militia in my Napoleonic Spanish army and could easily see these guys of yours alongside them in their brigade. Well done mate.

    ReplyDelete