Sunday, November 04, 2007

(I'll resist a pun) Fiasco 07

Well, last weekend i was at Fiasco; notionally helping the Leeds club set up and strip down the show. That also left the bulk of the day ambling around the traders, and trying to sell some books (not particularly successfully as it happened). I wasn't theoretically in a position to buy much; there seemed little point, when I'm moving in a month and everything is going into storage. But never the less I came back with twenty quids worth of second hand 28mm Spartans and Medievals; 32 unpainted Foundry and Blacktree figures - a bargain.

That aside I turned a twenty quid profit on the day, after selling a board game, and a handful of Role playing games.

As for the games on show, well, it wasn't all that inspiring. Firstly I apologise for the picture quality, but the Royal Armouries had apparently elected for 'mood lighting' in the main hall.

First A War of the Worlds game that I've seen at a couple of shows. It is always popular and well attended. The painting is not bad and it looks attractive. Though obviously, it their out at sea the tripods feet should not be showing!



Secondly a Napoleonics, or similar period game being played using the Piquet rules in 20mm. This was an appealing looking game, despite the hex terrain, which I'm not normally a fan of. It was nice to see someone using 20mm scale, though so far as I could tell, all the figures were metals.


Next an excellent looking display set in the Russian Civil War. Probably the best looking display at the show, with excellent scenery and pretty good figures.



You'll note I call it a display though. I never saw a dice rolled or a figure moved all day, those cavalry were weaving round the docks for seven hours.

How not to do a display game. The society of ancients game was presumably intended as a participation game, but it looked so ugly their stand seemed deserted all day. I've often seen the SOA at shows and it always appears to be two archaeology students re-fighting Cannae with twenty 15mm figures each over some bits of fuzzy felt. They do themselves no favours on the presentation front.
The Lance and Longbow society did a far better job by comparison, not the best painted figures or scenery, but clearly done for regular use; not merely for shows. The impact of seeing hundreds of 25-28mm landsknechts storming the earthworks was really nice. Old school wargaming.


Upstairs the Rules of Engagement people had a participation skirmish game set up. Basically just infantry and Hedgerow on a four by three table. The figures looked good, and the rules may be one for the future...


Lastly there was a game based on The German assault into the Romanian capital after their coup (I think, I am now pretty hazy on what their blurb said). Lovely scenery, and some nice models; another popular game.



So what have we learned? A game with visual impact makes for popularity, even if it is virtually static all day. A game that people are familiar with from other shows will likely find players. Helping traders to set up and strip down, is nice, but not recompensed by free entry to the show (especially when it means starting at 7am). And even when I know I can't I will still buy little models for some unspecified time in the future.
Oh well.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the pictures of the L&L game of Biocca. I liked the RCW game as well and it was using the Red Actions rules that normally play quickly

    ReplyDelete