Saturday, April 18, 2020

Iwata Neo - Quality and Value!

...
Fortunately, whilst slower than normal, mail order is still a thing, and although I have limited what I pick up given the circumstances, one item of note has arrived.

After eight or nine months of trial and error, I feel I'd got to grips with the basics of airbrushes, and the tell tale sign of that for me was recognising the limitations of the kit I was using.  My no name airbrush that basically came for free with a compressor, performs well enough at high pressure but that isn't what most model painting beyond undercoating requires.  Having however proven concept to me it made me willing to invest more money in a proper devices.  Enter the Neo.

Iwata is one of the most respected makers of Air brushes, the Neo isn't exactly made by them, but I guess it is designed by and approved by them, and manufactured by a reputable subsidiary.  Essentially this rather confusing set up makes it Iwata's entry-level brush.  Entry level here still means handing over £85; but that's about half the price of the mid-upper range models.


But every penny is worth it, with you getting a product of far finer build quality, with superior tolerances and design throughout, having had some time to try it out I've found it to work at lower pressure, with both high and low quality paints, it runs without feed jams, and cleans very easily.  It also comes with interchangeable cups so you can use small amounts of paint.  It can generate good splatter-free coverage at pressures around 8-12 PSI, and can be used up close for lines down to a couple of millimeters.

It is not for large jobs, one of the no-name models will work perfectly well for those tasks (such as undercoating dozens of models at once or basecoating scenery), but for everything else it is far superior.

If you happen to be looking to get into, or improve your airbush kit, I can't recommend this highly enough.


...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I wonder if paring it with my HP-CS would be smart as a fine-liner?

    ReplyDelete