Monday, April 29, 2019

Ohio Militia - Stage 2: painted (that makes an army!)

...
I was super enthusiastic to get these conversions ready for the table, and so they bumped up the paint schedule and a quick job was made of them.

Statesmen-like
Accounts generally describe militia clothing, especially that of frontiersmen, as browns and greys, and so I largely stuck to that palette, with stockings in a variety of lighter shades, and a couple of dark waistcoats poking through.  I elected to go for an issued look to equipment to give a semi-regular feel; it also sped up the painting!  The drum is based on period equipment and illustrations which suggest fairly plain equipment for militia troops.

With these done I can field a legitimate 24 points of Rebels & Patriots Americans for 1812:

Murica!
Most of the models above being converted plastics, the majority of those being Perry Miniatures, the metals being mostly Knuckleduster except for the mounted officer, who is an old Hinchcliffe one-piece casting.

All told, technically ten years work; I painted the first of these in 2009!  The latter troops finished in the last couple of months, quite a gap.  Still, it means I can get these to the table soon.

In the mean time, I guess I need to work on British and Canadian troops now; so to that end I've started some Canadian Embodied Militia:

Kit bash...
Mostly made from a batch of Victrix Waterloo British donated to me years ago, with a few Perry parts and some custom Green Stuff to remove their packs and add tall hats.  These will get painted soon, but before then I'll discuss a little one specific new tool I used to help make them..

Stay tuned...

...

1 comment: