Friday, August 21, 2020

General Ferey and the Guarde Artillery

 ...

One thing I was determined to make progress on at the start of this year, was the 28mm Napoleonics.  I felt I'd pushed them to one side in the last few years, and whilst there was always an aim to do a couple of units a year, that had reduced to a trickle of maybe one in the same timeframe.  

This year will not be like that!  So here we add another unit, and an additional commander to the French, who were definitely feeling outnumbered, so this is mainly their year.

Claude François Ferey, Baron de Rozengath (21 September 1771 – 24 July 1812) became a division commander during the Napoleonic Wars and was killed fighting the British at Salamanca; prior to this he commanded a division at Fuentes D'Onoro and prior to that he was a Brigadier at Busaco.  Given the available spare figures he is presented by here, and my leanings to the early phase of the war, I've presented him as a Brigadier:

Claude Ferey and chum.

Particularly pleased with the horse...

These are just a pair of Hat Industrie hard plastics, that were to hand, and made up for a nice command base.  Ideally he should be in a Bicorne, but I am plain out of suitable spares, so you make do with what you have.

Speaking of which.

In the bottom of the Napoloenics box of shame, a pile of metal had languished for a good nine years.  An old friend had gifted me some French Guarde artillerymen, he had intended for a Warhammer army (!?!), and I just had to add guns to them to make a unit.  Well I got that far; and then nothing.  Still, to each, his moment in the sun.

The Queens of the Battlefield

The whole are Front Rank models, some of my favourites, for good clean sculpts, chunky details, heft, and a fair price.

Ready...

I think the guns are the best part of the work here however.  Always pleasing objects to paint.

How accurate the Imperial Guarde Artillery is for the Peninsular, is not clear to me presently.  I should probably do some research!  But it at least now means the French have parity with the Allies, each side now sporting 6 guns.

So that gives me 3 new Napoleonics units so far this year, but there's more in the pipeline too.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment