Sunday, August 09, 2020

An Actual Game

...

Yes, I know.  Many gamers have already cautiously put their heads out of their burrows and in some cases probably never retreated to them.  But for myself, I guess I took to caution, and it has only been now after 5 months' in just the company of my beloved, and occasionally - once permitted - close family, that I have finally been ready to open up the doors to TML Towers, on a limited basis.

So with distance, ventilation, sanitiser and appropriate caution, I welcomed James over for a game of nostalgia...

Hordes of the Things

I guess I last played Hordes *mumble, mumble, mumble* years ago, whilst for James, it was his introduction to wargaming via his father.  As his lockdown project he had been working on a range of opposed armies for the game, and I was more than happy to give them a run out.

My host
I chose the Elves, to face James' Vampiric undead.  The forces, as befits HOTT were 15mm scaled and formed of around a dozen elements making up a 24 point force.  We played on a slightly oversized table around 27 inches square, with the Elves attacking and the undead defending their stronghold; a cave entrance to the underworld.
Our view of the Undead horde
Hordes makes a lot of a small table, with incredibly short movement and shooting  ranges, but it does work.  You have time to maneuver and strategise, you have room to retreat and reorganise.  Our advance nonetheless took time.
The Undead approach in a great mass
For those unfamiliar, HOTT uses a simple commander system, based on DBMM and DBA.  Being from the Phil Barker canon this is no surprise.  Indeed I always thought HOTT the best of the Barker rules.  Anyway, at the start of a turn you roll 1D6 and that indicates your command points.  Moving a single element costing 1 point, but units in a group all move together for a single point, there are few exceptions, such as Wizards, but for the most part it is a simple scheme.  

Ray Harryhausen Approved
I attempted to draw the undead towards what I considered a strong position with spears flanked by missle troops in strong ground.  My cavalry to threaten the enemy flank.  
"You shall not pass"

For his part, James advanced en-masse, with his own strong flanking force to threaten my right.
Coming on Strong
Battle opened truly with highly effective Elven shooting, then close combat.  As with all the DBX family HOTT uses a simple opposed D6 roll once for each element to resolve combat.  Generally you need to double an opponents result to destroy the, other wise merely beating them will make them withdraw a base depth, but again exceptions apply.

The Elves began strongly, and the Skeletons were soon being smashed in great number.  But James was able to get his Werewolves and Vampires into my Right, where they became a thorn in my side.  
The too and Fro of HOTT combat
ON my left however, Half my cavalry had survived long enough to be joined in combat with the enemy General and his allies, by a selection of foot troops.  The Elves were able to push the Sorcerer and his minions back, but not finish them.
The Crux
At about the same time, James was able to sneak an attack in on my Wizard General with his Vampires, but the assault failed and the sneaky daylight dodgers were sent running.  My centre line was finally in a position to advance, covered by my Archers attempting to contain the Werewolf menace.  James committed his Ghouls to try to finish off my Behemoth - a Tree Ent - but to no avail...

Victory!
Whilst both out Generals survived, I had destroyed more than half of the enemy army - in points value - for the loss of only one element of Knights and one of Archers.  On this day, the forces of good Triumphed.

So quick thoughts; it's nice to finally get a game in!

Also HOTT, still stands up.  Sure the rules, like all Barker systems, are written in a manner intended to be bullet proof for tournament play, and so are in a form of exhaustive legalese of which the kindest thing I can say is that is thorough.  It is not the easiest read.  However, I personally still think HOTT was the best of the bunch, and the most fun to play.  I reminds me of Dragon Rampant in some ways, in that it is very open.  You can build pretty much anything and find a way to use it.  Want an army of Mecha, Wizards, Dinosaurs, Penguins?  Sure, it'll work.

The practicalities of playing, in warm summer months, not too bad.  I could open the french windows, circulate lots of air, and stay my side of the table to maintain proper distances.  That all worked well enough to try it again, if we both stay healthy of course.  When the autumn and winter beckon, if things don't improve that may not be so practical, but we can make gaming hay whilst the sun shines.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment