Tuesday, September 04, 2018

A rare GW post (for Dragon Rampant...)

So about once a year or less I pop into a Games Workshop - sorry, Warhammer store - to see what's what.  Even back when I used to play 40k and Warhammer I was a rare visitor to their stores in the last decade or so, as really, there was no point.  They'd try to enthuse you about their games, I'd confuse them by saying I was currently working on a historical army, or using their models/accessories for either a commission or a completely different game.

Such it was a few weeks ago when I dropped into the Leeds store on a whim, at the end of an afternoon's shopping.  GW have upped their game (ahem) in the last few years, and seem to have made some sensible steps forward as far as a company.  I am genuinely pleased to see games like Necromunda, Bloodbowl, and Adeptus Titanicus back on the shelves.  Heck some of the prices even seem better than I used to recall.  But it's still, understandably, a monoculture of gaming.

"So what are you collecting mate?"
"Oh nothing really, I don't play any of your games anymore; but I do still buy the occasional figure for the games I do play." I replied; as a  pack of Gryph-hounds plopped on the counter.

 
"I used to play Warhammer," I continued, throwing him a bone, "but I didn't get on with Age of Sigmar, I switched to other systems."  Naturally he'd never heard of - or at least held to the company line as regards them - Dragon Rampant or Kings of War.

"Oh you should definitely come back to AoS." he proffered helpfully.  "It's really improved since it first came out.

I can't imagine it hasn't, my review of the original release damned it with faint praise but, I'm not tempted.

The only reason at all for buying the Gryph-hounds was that they would make a fun unit to add to my Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant crossover force.  When going into the realms of fantasy my Feudal English take on the mantle of the Knights of Derpabury; and what could be a better thematic unit for such a force, than the living embodiment of heraldry?

With the pack containing six models for a fairly reasonable (at fantasy figure rates) price of £15, they would make for an ideal unit of Lesser Warbeasts.  Dipping into the stash of plastics, I was able to add a human huntsmaster to the group, both to identify the leader more clearly, and to tie the unit more clearly into the army theme.

 
 As is my preference, I went for a more naturalistic look to the models, using images of Hawks and Eagles for colour reference.  The versions shown on the box are very AoS/GW, pretty gonzo for my tastes.
 
The basing is to match the Feudal/Derpabury troops, rather marshy, with irregular bases cut from MDF.

These were a quick little project, ultimately painted for the Dragon Rampant Facebook Group's monthly painting challenge.  I'm happy with the results.

I look forward to my next trip to GW to see what they have available.

In a year or two....


...

4 comments:

  1. Nice looking DR unit. GW has it's uses. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, would those work as mounts for cavalry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say a little small for 28mm, they might look ok with gw Middle earth minis or as mounts for smaller than normal races. They'd be grateful with old school 25mm or with 20mm models.

      Delete