Monday, September 24, 2018

15mm terrain time...

New projects abound, and this brings its attendant demands on other strands of modelling.  I decided I needed some 15mm terrain, all the every day countryside stuff you need for a basic tabletop.  However I didn't want to spend a fortune, so most of the following items were made from leftovers and items scrounged at best.

A few hours work
The fences are the ever reliable coffee house stirrers, sliced roughly down the middle and assembled flat before gluing to artists board.

Whole stirrer ends make good stone gateposts
 For the walls I experimented with stripping the outer surface from foamcore, in the hope of finding a textured surface.  At first I had my doubts, but paint showed up a lot of texture.  I had already added an impression of stonework along the top of the walls with the back of a craftknife blade.

Simple but effective
 Lastly the bridge, surely a gaming essential, was from the Warbases super cheap terrain ranges, and was added to an order of bases, as I'm sometimes lazy.  That said, I used off-cuts and cereal box card to improve the setting and surface.  This double span bridge is large enough for my budget art foam river.

15mm Austrians for scale
Overall I reckon I spent a fiver on this collection, most of which was on the bridge.  I need a few trees yet, but I'm not going to attempt to make those; that is definitely a job for someone else...



...

4 comments:

  1. Inspiring stuff. Can you solve my need to make no mess hills?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://toomuchlead.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/easy-make-terrain-hills.html

      Failing that, I'm still a big fan of books under a terrain cloth; still some of the most plausible looking hills!

      Delete